The Thrive membership is a proven, empowering and transformative online community that helps musicians learn new ways to approach practice, performance and wellness.
You get live workshops each month and masterclasses + access to a video library with over 80 lessons. Are you ready to become a Thriver?
Thrive will change the way you see and do your work.
Here's the thing: there are ways forward that music school doesn't put in front of us! So, we set out to create a solution. Through access to a robust video library (80+ videos to date, see the contents below) combined with virtual events such as masterclasses, Q&A’s and workshops, Thrive fills the gaps in traditional music training. Here, you'll find new approaches to your work and a community of like-minded people to support you. We're not going to let you hide from the greatness that is within you. This is about awakening to new paths, getting a robust set of perspectives, and being a part of something larger than yourself.
How does it work?
Thrive has 3 main features:
1. VIDEO LIBRARY of lessons on technique, business/career skills, and mind/heart/body wellness. You get 5 new videos per month.
2. LIVE CLASSES such as masterclasses, Q&A's and workshops with top artists and experts from around the world. There are at least 2 live clarinet classes and 2 live cello classes each month recorded to rewatch later on our digital platform.
3. COMMUNITY of like-minded musicians to take your work further: a Facebook group (which you can join now if you’d like) and opportunity for discussion and support on our member platform. In addition, we send you emails, and are available for support and guidance when you need it.
See below for a current catalog of content.
Who’s it for?
Currently, we offer masterclasses and instrumental content for clarinetists and cellists. But, all are welcome! Maybe you’re a current ambitious high schooler or college music student that is hungry to learn everything imaginable about a life in music. Maybe you're out of school, feel like you’re in a bit of a black hole, and need support and a chance to play in masterclass again. Maybe you have a job and just love learning! Perhaps you’re a teacher that is excited by new ideas. Thrive is for anyone who wants to learn new, cool stuff.
What is the time commitment?
Live classes last 60-90 minutes. You're encouraged to join live, but can also listen to the recordings later while making dinner or walking to work. The pre-recorded video lessons are around 10-20 minutes, and are intended to be short and focused. You can make your way through the material at any pace you wish!
What technology is required?
- Internet access for the online platform, accessible via app or browser
- Zoom to participate in live events
Cost of tuition:
The cost of tuition is $300 every 4 months or $830 per year. There are no additional fees or taxes. You can cancel at any time.
Note: It's impossible to put a value on all of this content. However, we estimate it's worth at least $250 per month. You're getting hours of curated wisdom from top musicians and experts around the world that you have access to anytime, anywhere. We'd say that's quite the value!
We have them, and if you are enthusiastic about joining Thrive but can't afford it, we urge you to apply here!
SUMMER SESSION: MAY-AUG
We are so excited about our summer session where we will focus on your practice, performance, career, and wellness while empowering you to plan for the months and years to come! Summer is the perfect time to dig into something new and see if it will move the needle. We are pretty confident Thrive will do just that!Download the Summer Session Calendar!
- Clarinet Workshop - A Modular Warm Up for Summer! with Ixi Chen
- Workshop - Resume Review! with Ixi Chen & Tiffany Valvo
- Workshop - Life Plan Thinking with Dave Ostreicher
- Conversation + Cello Masterclass with Ilya Finkelshtyn
- Clarinet Workshop - Your Summer Practice Guide with Tiffany Valvo
AND 5+ NEW VIDEO LESSONS!
- Conversation - Creating a successful portfolio career with Nick Photinos
- Workshop - Mentors & Sponsors with Dave Ostreicher
- Conversation - Cultivating freedom, playing with heart + more with Chen Halevi
- Workshop - 21c Performance Practice with Nick Photinos
- Clarinet Masterclass with Chen Halevi
- Cello Masterclass with Nick Photinos
AND 5+ NEW VIDEO LESSONS TBA!
- Eb Clarinet Workshop with Joe Morris
- Clarinet Masterclass with Joe Morris
- Following your Passions with Sam Rothstein
- Conversation & Cello Masterclass with Blaise Déjardin
- Clarinet Workshop on Breathing
AND 5+ NEW VIDEO LESSONS TBA!
- Conversation + Workshop with Michele Zukofsky
- Clarinet Masterclass with Michele Zukofsky
- Following your Passions with Sam Rothstein
- Conversation & Cello Masterclass with Winona Zelenka
- Workshop on Recovering from Negative Thought Patterns with Myra McPherson
AND 5+ NEW VIDEO LESSONS TBA!
WHAT'S INSIDE THE VIDEO LIBRARY?
As soon as you join Thrive, you'll get access to the following video content. All new videos (5 per month)/ and masterclasses will be added for as long as you're a member!
Clarinet Classes & Technique Videos
We love a traditional masterclass and going total clarinet-nerd!
- Creating a Warm Up with Kim Cole Luevano
- Anthony McGill Masterclass
- Bass Clarinet Essentials with Lawrie Bloom
- Mariam Adam Masterclass
- Workshop on Multiphonics with Eric Mandat
- Afendi Yusuf Masterclass
- A Workshop on Expression with Afendi Yusuf
- Diana Haskell Masterclass
- Importance of Versatility with John Bruce Yeh
- John Bruce Yeh Masterclass
- Mark Nuccio Masterclass
- André Moisan Masterclass
- Lawrie Bloom Masterclass
- Articulation Tips & Catalog of Articulation Etudes by Eric Mandat
- Tongue Strengthening Exercises with Eric Mandat
- Staccato with John Bruce Yeh
- Rhythmic Subdivision with Afendi Yusuf
- Technique with Lawrie Bloom
- The Muted Tongue with Tiffany Valvo
Cello Classes & Technique Videos
Cello... the king of instruments? All you cellists will love digging into these classes.
- Alan Harris Masterclass
- Mark Kosower Masterclass
- Jeff Lastrapes Masterclass
- Brinton Smith Masterclass
- Jeff Zeigler Masterclass
- Melissa Kraut Masterclass
- Sauenn Thorsteindottir Masterclass
- Hans Jensen Masterclass
- Bow Changes with Ted Nelson
- Satillé with Ted Nelson
- Coulé with Ted Nelson
- Versatility in Bow Strokes with Ted Nelson
- Rep: Dvorak Concerto Sextuplets with Alan Rafferty
- Left Hand Articulation & Extension Exercises with Ted Nelson
- Building a Warm Up Routine with Ted Nelson
Elevation Guest Classes
Experts from music & beyond presenting on everything from practice strategies to acting techniques to elevate your artistry.
- Diversifying your Programming with Mariam Adam
- Writing & Expression with Robert Walters
- Playing with East & Comfort with Dr. Melissa Kraut
- On Wellness & Balance with Diana Haskell
- Body Awareness & Kinesthetic Learning with Rosemary Engelstad
- Importance of Versatility with Saeunn Thorsteinsdottir, Dr. Mark Almond and John Bruce Yeh
- Captivating Your Audience with Sasha Olinick
We sit down with some seriously amazing humans and have a conversation. Think podcast!
- Mark Kosower, principal cello, Cleveland Orchestra
- Anthony McGill, principal clarinet, New York Philharmonic
- Jeffrey Lastrapes, Assistant Professor of Cello, Texas Tech University
- Mariam Adam, Assistant Professor of Clarinet, Vanderbilt University
- Tracy Friedlander, freelancer
- Afendi Yusuf, principal clarinet, Cleveland Orchestra
- Jeff Zeigler, teacher, cellist extraordinaire, former Kronos Quartet
Business & Career Video Lessons
Playing your instrument well is AWESOME! But, you also need to know how to market yourself and make a living wage!
CAREER & INCOME
- Writing a Resume that Shines with Ixi Chen
- Military Careers with Ben Wensel
- Elements of a Website with Ixi Chen
- Basics of Investing with Richard Li
- Musician Money Mindset with Tracy Freidlander
- The Academic Path, Part I with Tiffany Valvo
- The Academic Path, Part II with Tiffany Valvo
- The Academic Path, Part III with Tiffany Valvo
- Crushing Classical Careers with Tracy Freidlander
BUSINESS & SKILLS
- Skills Pyramid with Ixi Chen
- Personal Branding with Ixi Chen
- Starting an Email List with Tiffany Valvo
- Project Development Part I: Mission & Collaboration with Emlyn Johnson
- Project Development Part II: Building Relationships with Emlyn Johnson
- Project Development Part III: Sharing your message & planning for the future with Emlyn Johnson
Wellness Video Lessons
How do we stay well in mind, heart and body while pursuing our dreams as musicians?
- Own Your Day with Tiffany Valvo
- Five to Focus with Jessica Valeri
- Meditation: Clearing Thoughts with Ixi Chen
- Big Day Focus Meditation with Ixi Chen
- Reframing Stress with Tiffany Valvo
- Mindfulness in Performance with Amy Zoloto
- Should I ....? with Tiffany Valvo
- Motivation in the Practice Room with Sarah Kim
- Creativity is an ACTION! with Ixi Chen
- Habit Frameworks with Ted Nelson
- Embracing the hard: tales of performance anxiety with Tiffany Valvo
- Myofascial Self Care Exercises with Doug Surber
- Yoga Tune-Up with Jessica Valeri
- Back & Mobility Strength with Ted Nelson
- Breath as a Reset with Jessica Valeri
The people that are most successful aren't the most talented. They're the ones with a plan, an open mind, and the ability to move forward in action.
Musician friends, this is such an incredible opportunity that I *highly* recommend! The programs that Ixi & Tiffany have passionately created have changed the way I think about practicing, performing, and what it means to thrive as a musician.
I would recommend Thrive to anyone looking to amp up their music life, and especially those looking to make music their life-long career. It's great to learn new ideas along with new repertoire each month; it really keeps things interesting! Every guest has something amazing to bring to the table, and it really is a pleasure, and an honor to get to work with these professionals.
This past year, I was a part of Thrive, and wow it was amazing! Meeting new clarinet faculty and making new friends has been great, but most importantly Thrive has given me a new skill set under my belt right after graduating college. I’ve implemented techniques from Thrive into my everyday routine, and I’ve had a lot more success with competitions and auditions!
PAST THRIVE GUESTS
We are very proud to have brought all of these artists into Thrive in the last 13 months. What will the next 13 bring?!
Ready to take action and commit to some learning for the next 4 months or more?!
Want to just chat about if this is right for you? We'd love to chat! Email us at [email protected]
A NOTE ON PRICING
It's impossible to put a value on all of this content. However, we estimate it's worth at least $250 per month. You're getting hours of curated wisdom from top musicians and experts around the world that you have access to anytime, anywhere. We'd say that's quite the value!
What happens when I join?
I don't have time!
I'm already in music school, why do I need this?
I can't afford it.
How long can I access the material?
Can I cancel at any time?
Do I get to play in masterclass?
I'm just still not sure if this is for me.
Can I get lessons?
I'm not a clarinetist or cellist ... should I join?
Who's behind all of this?!
DIRECTORS & CLARINET HOSTS: Ixi, Tiffany & Ted!
Hi! We are Ixi, Tiffany, and Ted! As the directors and hosts of Thrive, we curate your content and find incredible guests and topics that we know will offer you something meaningful. We look out for trends and things we think you need to know. Ixi Chen (middle) plays in the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra and teaches at the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music. Dr. Tiffany Valvo (left) is the clarinet professor at Virginia Commonwealth University and Social Media/Digital Content Specialist at Cal Performances. Ted Nelson (right) is a cellist in the Cincinnati Symphony + Producing Artistic Director of Concert Nova. We teamed up to create THRIVE because we love music school but know it isn't enough. We've got big hearts and believe there is space for everyone in classical music, but you may need some help! We talk every day about how to give it to you.
Tiffany and Ixi head up clarinet land and Ted heads up cello land! We love working with musicians of all ages and have a lot of experience between the 3 of us... so ask away with your questions!